Building and Inspections Department FAQ

Home » Documents » Building and Inspections Department FAQ

Building and Inspections Department FAQ’s

Home owners are allowed to obtain permits on the residence in which they currently reside. However, if an unlicensed contractor asks you to pull a building permit as property owner for a project, you are, in fact, becoming a contractor and may be helping the unlicensed contractor evade state licensing laws. You may be jeopardizing legal protections in the law designed to protect you as a consumer. If a contractor asks you to pull a homeowner’s permit in lieu of the contractor obtaining the building permit themselves, we recommend you consult your legal advisor.

This department only handles permits needed within the City limits of Fayetteville. If you are in another jurisdiction, you must contact them for their rules and regulations.

Verify whether or not your property is within the City limits by utilizing THIS MAP.

Be sure to follow your approved plans, whether they are drawn by an architect or designer or are standard construction requirements given to you by the city. If you change the plans while building the structure, this will cause problems when the project is inspected. If you do decide to make changes, check with the city’s plan review staff or your field inspector.

Permit issuance periods vary. Some projects can be fully permitted over-the-counter, meaning a return trip won’t be needed. Some projects, however, require that plans be left for additional review.

You will need to submit 3 sets of plans for commercial projects and 2 sets of plans for residential projects.

Since each construction project is unique, we invite you to CONTACT US with any questions you may have as it relates to your project.

Should you have any other questions, please call us at 770-719-4062.

The city recommends that you deal only with a contractor licensed by the State of Georgia. The Contractors’ Licensing Board’s telephone number is 478-207-2440.

It is your responsibility to call us for inspections at specific times during construction. You may have your contractor make the call, but it is still your responsibility, as the property owner, to make sure the inspections are made. Inspections are made during certain points in the project, depending on the work that’s being performed. For example, decks require inspections of the footing, framing/attachment to house and when all work is finished.

Remember… the project is not complete for legal purposes until it has passed the final inspection.

Other government agencies may need to review and approve your project. The city will inform you of these reviews at the time plans are submitted.

Zoning sets up, within a defined area, the types of buildings and what they will be used for. For example, a residential area may be zoned R22, which means that the lots can contain one single-family home and the lots are a minimum of 22,500 square feet.

Zoning is regulated based on maps approved by the City Council. A variance may be obtained in some cases if a property owner wants to build something not allowed in the property’s zone.

Some questions and approvals for zoning can be issued over-the-counter by the same staff that reviews your building plans. Others need reviews by specialty zoning or planning staff.

There are also special zones within the city such as planned districts. The city’s Zoning Department can answer questions about these areas. To request information, call 770-461-6029 and ask for Zoning Department.

Permits are the way the city of Fayetteville regulates construction. This is designed to ensure that all construction in the city is safe. The safety of the occupants of buildings is the primary reason for having construction codes. The City of Fayetteville has adopted several codes, among them the International Building, Mechanical and Plumbing, and National Electrical codes. In addition, there are federal, state and local laws that govern construction, such as those covering energy conservation.

There are several different types of permits, based on the type of construction: structural, plumbing, mechanical and electrical (used for single-family home construction and other small projects). In addition, the complete demolition and relocation of buildings also requires permits.

Obtaining the permit is just the first step in the process. In this step, you may need to create plans to submit to the department, make a plot plan for your property showing the improvements, and show the type of construction you’ll be using.

Once plans are approved, you’re required to build the project to those plans. If any changes are made to the plans, they must be made with the city’s approval.

The second half of the process is the inspection of the work. More about that later.

If a permit, when needed, is not obtained before construction, you have violated city codes and regulations; you’ll be subject to fines and penalties. You’ll be required to obtain permits for the work and it must pass inspection, or you’ll have to return the structure or site to its original condition.

Remember… construction codes were created for safety reasons. Work built without a permit can be unsafe, no matter how good it looks.

For more information, call 770-719-4062.

Permits expire after 180 days if no inspections have been made. In order for the project to be complete, it must pass final inspection. If a permit expires before final inspection, the project is in violation of city codes. If this is your case, call 770-719-4062. We’ll help you to reactivate the permit or apply for another with as little inconvenience as possible. Our interest is in seeing your project complete and safe… including the final inspection.

A construction permit is needed for all new construction, remodeling and repairs. A plumbing, electrical or mechanical permit maybe needed for any addition or changes to a building’s existing system; for example, moving or adding an electrical outlet requires a permit.

To find out if your project needs a permit, call 770-719-4062.

A construction permit is not needed for items such as wallpapering, painting or similar finish work. However, reviews may be required from other agencies; be sure to check before proceeding.

For plumbing, mechanical and electrical work, replacement or repair of fixtures (such as changing water faucets or replacing switches) does not normally require a permit. Replacing a water heater or adding a permanently wired light fixture does, however, require a permit.

To determine if your project needs a permit, call 770-719-4062.

Construction permits are issued at the city’s Building Department which is located at 95 Johnson Ave (on the backside of the Fire Department). Call 770-719-4062 for information and appointments. Click here to view office walk-in hours.

Plans for projects such as room additions can usually be drawn up by qualified individuals such as architects or engineers licensed by the State of Georgia.

Contractors licensed by the State of Georgia or your agent can obtain permits. The home owner can also obtain the permits.

It is the responsibility of the property owner to be sure all necessary permits are obtained prior to the start of the project.

If you will be hiring anyone, you may have to purchase Workers’ Compensation Insurance, which is available from a variety of agencies. If you won’t be hiring anyone, we’ll ask you to sign an ”Owner-Builder Statement” to this effect. We can’t issue you a permit without either insurance or the completed Owner-Builder Statement.