Occupational Tax

License Requirements

Occupational Tax Certificates are commonly known as “Business Licenses”. Anyone wishing to do business in the City of Fayetteville should have a business license.

Click here to download the Occupational Tax Requirements booklet.

Department Hours:

8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M.
(Monday Through Friday)

Note: Business License Applications will not be taken after 4:30 P.M.


City of Fayetteville
240 South Glynn Street
Fayetteville, Georgia 30214


Georgia Association of Business Tax Officials

Contact the Occupational Tax desk: 770-719-4165

An overview of the business license process

Fayetteville is blessed with a vibrant business community, and the City does what it can to serve all of its businesses, from home-based sole proprietors and locally-owned restaurants to regional healthcare providers and national retailers. Improving transportation infrastructure, robust and reliable utilities, and proactive public safety services are just a few reasons Fayetteville is poised to continue growing.

Large or small, all business ventures in Fayetteville start at the same place: The Occupational Tax counter at Fayetteville City Hall. Better known as “business licenses”, Occupational Tax Certificates issued at this counter ensure that businesses are legitimately initiated and located within the properly zoned districts within the city. A manufacturing business, for example, would not be appropriately located in the middle of a residential neighborhood, but a freelance writer would be encouraged to do so. Wise business planning includes checking with City Occupational Tax Billing Coordinator Phyllis Brown to be sure your enterprise is properly licensed.

Home-based businesses will generally find obtaining an Occupational Tax Certificate to be a quick and easy process. The fee is as low as $75 annually, and this business license is generally required in order to set up a business account with banks and credit unions. Approval from Planning & Zoning Department staff is required, but is also usually obtained within minutes during your visit to City Hall.

Non-profit organizations will need to show proof of 501(c)(3) status, but then the certificate fee is waived. In these cases, Planning & Zoning Department approval is required, and if the organization is located in a commercial building, approvals will also be required from the Water, Fire and Building departments.

Fee exemptions are also available to certified disabled veterans.

There are many different types of commercial and professional occupational tax certificates, but again, if the business is located in a commercial building, approvals will also be required from the Water, Fire and Building departments. Some professionals licensed by the State of Georgia are exempt from paying occupational taxes to the City in their first year for the remainder of that calendar year.

Obtaining licenses to serve alcohol, whether for on-premises or off-premises consumption, can takes four to six weeks, and there are many zoning guidelines to determine where this sort of business may take place. State licensing is also required for serving alcohol. Once a business is licensed, each employee involved in the sale and service of alcohol must also be permitted individually.

Click here to download the Occupational Tax Requirements booklet.

All occupational tax certificates expire annually on Dec. 31. Renewal forms are mailed earlier that month, and renewals are due by March 31.

Occupational Tax Clerk
Phyllis Brown