The mission of Engineering Services is to plan and administer the construction of capital improvement projects to improve and maintain City streets, utilities, and associated infrastructure for the benefit of the public and to foster economic growth in Fayetteville. Specifically, the Engineering Division is responsible for:
- Planning, design, bid document preparation, and construction administration for planned capital improvement projects, including improvements to existing streets, sidewalks, utilities, drainage, traffic signals, signage, and streetlights
- Reviewing civil site plans for residential and commercial building permit applications
- Environmental regulatory compliance for development projects, ongoing municipal operations, and local storm water management
- Traffic safety planning and management
- City property and right-of-way management
- Serving as a repository for utility and roadway as-built drawings, technical reports, property plats, and right-of-way maps that date back several decades
Engineering Services performs design and drafting for plans and prepares specifications for improvements to the City’s infrastructure. The division maintains engineering and utility records. It performs inspections on the City’s bridges, storm sewer, sanitary sewer, water, and street lighting systems. The Survey Section within the division provides surveys, legal descriptions, construction layouts, line and grade for water and sewer, streets, streetlights, and storm water improvements. Engineering Services also issues utility construction permits, reviews Planning and Zoning Commission issues and also conducts building plans reviews.